Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Learning to Trust

I like to read, and I read a lot of different things including online devotionals. One thing that God has been trying to get me to do is trust him. In these last 2 1/2 years he has really been working on me starting with knee surgery,then quiting a good stable job, to volunteering at a christian school, to actually working for pay at the school, loosing the love of my life, back to only volunteer status with unemployment. Then unemployment runs out and what did he do? He handed me a job in a church just 5 blocks away, then allowed me to do a stupid thing like break a toe and tear ligiments, having to have surgery and now back to work. I say all of this to let you know that I could have done one of 2 things either give up or trust him. Fortunately however weak it is at times I have learned to trust God, I just read this devotional and wanted to share it with you
.Understanding God's WaysDay 195"Understanding the ways of God with my little finite mind would be like a little corpuscle in my big toe trying to figure what I'm thinking in my mind," said Dr. Bill Bright. "I can trust Him; I don't have to understand." Why do humans feel the need to understand and to be in control of everything that happens in their lives? This reaction may be human nature, but that does not make it right. At the beginning of time, man was created in the image of God (Genesis 1:26-27). But man was tempted by Satan to sin and failed the test. Since that time humans have continued to be tempted and to fall. This is our sin nature. All people are born sinners; we are born to want to take control and have the upper hand in our lives. But we are doomed to failure. This is why Christ came as the God/man to earth. He came to live, die, and rise again as payment for the sins of all people for all time. Only a sovereign God could possibly do such a thing and be successful! If you believe this about Christ and surrender your life to Him, you will receive the benefits of His work of salvation. You do not need to fully understand Him, just believe in Him and trust Him in all things."But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8)."Christ died for our sins. . . . he was buried, . . . he was raised on the third day. . . . He appeared to more than five hundred [witnesses]" (1 Corinthians 15:3-6)."I will put my trust in him" (Hebrews 2:13).God, You are good, and I trust You in all things. Amen.
Isn't it awesome-we don't have to understand, just believe and trust!! I want to understand but I don't have to, just believe he has it all under controll. What a relief!!

No comments: